St. Croix Villas, U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Croix Villa Rental Information & Destination Guide
St. Croix, just 40 miles south of St. Thomas, is the largest of the United States Virgin Islands. Renowned for its rich historic, architectural and cultural charm, St. Croix has scores of ruins and restorations of sugar cane mills and plantation Great Houses everywhere. McLaughlin Anderson Luxury Villas has a small but exclusive selection of excellent luxury St. Croix vacation properties. While you enjoy the peace and beauty of St. Croix from your island "home", there are walking tours, hikes, and horseback rides which meander through an historic past. Not as mountainous as sister islands St. John and St. Thomas, St. Croix's topography and landscaping are varied, from rolling hills to lovely, uncrowded beaches and arid cactus-covered plains, to a lush, green rain forest. Christiansted is St. Croix's main town, featuring charming alleyways, courtyards and streets dotted with excellent restaurants, shops, Fort Christiansvaern, churches and buildings showcasing classic West Indian architecture and history.
Just off St. Croix's northeast coast is Buck Island Reef, a National Monument with wonderful snorkeling from perfect white sand beaches. On the north shore you can dive the world-famous Cane Bay Wall with its spectacular coral and sea life, and continue on to the west and the small town of Fredericksted. The Cruzan Rum Distillery, Estate Whim Plantation Museum and St. George Village Botanical Gardens are also some of the interesting attractions to enjoy while on St. Croix. This island is also home to three golf courses (Carambola, Buccaneer and The Reef). St. Croix is also the only U.S. Virgin Island which has a gambling casino - you can try your luck at Divi Carina Bay Casino during your vacation; the Divi also offers free live entertainment in the upbeat Beachcomber's Club there. A rainforest lies in the northwestern portion of St. Croix, with a cool lushness all its own. Great mahogany, sandbox ("monkey-no-climb") and turpentine trees grant gentle shade to a riot of vivid flora. Our villas are surrounded by all of this natural beauty, plus outstanding views from breezy verandahs!
In the rainforest is the famous Domino Club, featuring its (non-alcoholic) beer-drinking pigs - not your usual Caribbean tourist attraction, but hilarious nonetheless, and not to be missed while on St. Croix! And the easternmost point in the United States of America is Point Udall, St. Croix - the sun rises here first! St. Croix is still a relatively-undiscovered island, not yet overrun by tourists and with few cruise ships visiting. It's a secret favorite of many longtime Caribbean travelers, with lots to see and do, lovely Crucian vacation villas, and tremendous beauty and history to offer its visitors. Definitely the way to go for your next vacation!
BRING PROOF of YOUR CITIZENSHIP Everyone departing St. Croix, even Americans, are now required by U.S. Immigration to show either a passport or a certified copy of a birth certificate accompanied by a photo ID - please don't forget these for the whole family!
Please note that The Virgin Islands Smoke-Free Act has been passed by the U.S. Virgin Islands Legislature, which bans smoking less than 20 feet from many spaces, including enclosed public places, enclosed places of employment, outdoor service or waiting lines and outdoor bus stations and public transportation platforms. Smoking also is prohibited within 20 feet of any of those locations. Keep this in mind as you enjoy your stay in the U.S. Virgin Islands!
Currency - U.S. Dollar
Postal - U.S. Postal Service + couriers (UPS, DHL, FedEx)
Immigration - No passports required of U.S. Citizens (bring certified copy of birth certificate; add gov't photo ID for adults). Day and other trips to BVI require passport for re-entry; visas may be required from other destinations. Consult your national immigration office.
Local Directory Information - 913
Police, Fire, Medical Emergency - dial 911
Hospital - Juan F. Luis Hospital (340) 778-6311
Planning your vacation on St. Croix
We highly recommend travel insurance! Please see your travel agent or your provider of choice. Need options? We suggest sites like TravelInsuranceReview.net for a tutorial and comparisons of top travel insurance companies online.
When visiting the island of St. Croix, you may be amazed to find that you can enjoy many of the conveniences that you have become accustomed to - from internet access to island wedding services, St. Croix has got just about everything you need for a memorable vacation. Relish your time with loved ones at the St. Croix villa of your choice, while we see to your desires.
We highly recommend that you pre-stock (provision) your villa! When you arrive; you'll want to kick off "shoes and all" and relax by the pool as the vibration of this richly cultural island calms your spirit. You can even order fixings for your first night's dinner and the next day's breakfast, so that you are free to unwind and explore after the sun rises on your St. Croix vacation.
Wi-Fi Hotspots provided by Choice Communications(various sites, daily, weekly or monthly rates)
St. Croix Chef Services
Invite a chef to perform culinary magic at your St. Croix villa; your vacation will take on a new level of elegance! Selected chefs will provide you with a variety of menus, from haute cuisine to island elegant. You choose, and then relax as the preparations unfold into delicious entrees, complimentary sides and tempting desserts. If you are planning a special occasion during your island vacation, there are lots of tasty ways to show how much you care!
We highly recommend advance reservations, particularly during peak and holiday seasons.
- Continental cuisine
- Island flavors
- Grilled selections
- Desserts & baked delights
Provisioning your St. Croix villa
- Please inquire...
St. Croix Spa, Massage, and Beauty
There are several providers of superior spa services on St. Croix. Therapeutic massage, couples massage, body wraps and facials are all available... and can be delivered to your St. Croix villa! Or allow us to book your next salon visit, for manicure, pedicure, facial, hair treatments and restoration procedures. Take the holistic approach, and round our your island vacation with the pampering that you deserve. Advance reservations highly recommended; subject to availability.
St. Croix Diving, Cruises, and Snorkeling
St. Croix is a favorite of SCUBA divers and snorkelers for many good reasons, not the least of which is "The Wall", over 13 thousand feet of sheer diving pleasure. Buck Island National Park outings offer another exciting avenue for exploring the undersea world.
Sailing, powerboating, deep sea fishing or cruising in a luxury charteryacht while visiting St. Croix are not to be missed. So quit the peace of your St. Croix villa for a spate of lively seafaring fun. Our concierge stands ready to assist you in planning the right excursion for any skill level or desire.
- SCUBA diving and instruction
- Snorkel tours
- Snorkel Gear Rentals
- Diving Gear Rentals & Sales
- Powerboat rentals
- Sport fishing charters
- Luxury yachts
- Sunset Cruises and weddings
St. Croix Activities, Festivals, and Attractions
St. Croix's mystique arises from its position as the cultural and agricultural heartbeat of the United States Virgin Islands. Steeped in a vibrant, revolutionary past, this island remains the chosen getaway for Virgin Islanders as well as people from around the world. Its tranquility, beauty and enchanting ruins, museums and countryside are the hallmarks of a great destination. From time to time, steal away from your St. Croix villa and discover a unique island's life, and its people.
- A Taste of St. Croix welcomes visitors and sample an amazing variety of foods, from Cajun to Lebanese, Creole, Italian, French, and many exciting Caribbean recipes that take advantage of the local fruits, vegetables and spices. The event is also judged by a panel of professionals who will vote on their top picks in such categories as best appetizer, entree, dessert, presentation and more.
- Buck Island Reef National Monument: Transferred to the National Park Service in 1961, Buck Island has spent time as a residence, for agricultural use, lumbering, and was first administered as a park by the U.S. Virgin Islands government in 1948. The park is closed from sunset to sunrise to protect nesting sea turtles that come ashore at night.
- Caribbean Community Theater (CCT) CCT Theatre, Inc. is a non-profit performing arts organization that enriches the lives of island residents and visitors by offering quality entertainment; encouraging participation in performing arts events, programs and activities.
- Crucian Christmas Fiesta: On St. Croix, Carnival consists of a monthlong fête that lasts through Three Kings' Day holiday. Calypso competitions, pageants and various cultural events culminate in the grand parade day.
- Cruzan Rum Factory is the home of the rum brand established in 1760. Cruzan Rum, the winner of some 30 awards of merit, is barrel aged, charcoal filtered and diluted to 80 proof with St. Croix rain water. Distillery tours are available. Must be 21 years or older to enter the web site.
- Diva Carina Bay Casino offers the elegance of the tropics and the excitement of Las Vegas in one thrilling package. Featuring many of the most preferred live casino action games: Big 6, Blackjack, Caribbean Stud Poker, Craps, Let It Ride, Roulette, Live Texas Hold 'Em and more. Hundreds of slot and video machines.
- Island Center for the Performing Arts Many local and off-island productions have been hosted at Island Center, featuring international, national and regional superstars, in addition to serving as a venue for local amateur and up and coming artists.
- The St. Croix Landmarks Society promotes the history and culture of St. Croix, including the Heritage Trail; Whim Plantation and Fritz Lawaetz Museums.
- St. Croix Jazz Festival The Frederiksted Economic Development Association's (FEDA) revels in the magical combination of sun, sea, sand and ... Jazz!
- St. Croix Triathlons are hosted annually, attracting top athletes from around the world as well as the U.S. Virgin Islands. Register, share results and learn more about the Ironman and the Caribbean Classic events.
- St. Patrick's Day Parade on St. Croix: It all began in 1969 when a group of local businessmen convened in Harry's Office Bar on Queen Cross St. in Christiansted for a "cool one". The conversation got around to holidays and why St. Patrick's Day wasn't celebrated in the Virgin Islands - something had to be done! Within minutes, the first St. Patrick's Day Parade was born!
- St. Croix Golfing at Carambola: Winding through a lush, tropical valley on the northwest side of the island of St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, the Carambola Golf & Country Club is truly one of the great treasures of American golf. Commissioned by Laurence Rockefeller, the course was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr., one of the most highly respected designers of the 20th century. Subject to availablility.
- St. Croix Golfing at Buccaneer: A challenging, 18-hole, par 70 golf course, encompassing 5,810 yards with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Designed by Bob Joyce in 1973, The Buccaneer Golf Course is known as St. Croix's most scenic, with sea views from 13 holes. Subject to availablility.
- Tennis on St. Croix - Some resorts offer access to courts by appointment; contact our concierge for availability
St. Croix Weddings, Air Charters, Transfers & other services
- Air charters also available; custom and medical air travel services.
- St. Croix Internet Access: A Better Copy, 52 Company Street, Christiansted (340-692-5303); Strand Street Station, 1102 Strand St, Christiansted (340-719-6245)
- St. Croix Wedding & Photography Services assistance on request
- St. Croix Limousine Services
- St. Croix car rentals, sea & ground transportation