St. John Villas, U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John Villa Rental Information & Destination Guide
St. John is known for its beaches and a large collection of luxury villas dotting verdant mountainsides. From St. Thomas, you can take the ferry to this smaller and laid-back sister U.S. Virgin Island of St. John... an island 20-40 minutes away in time but light years away in ambience. This popular Caribbean island has only two major hotels, but offers hundreds of St. John luxury villas and vacation properties, from basic rental cottages and condominiums, to super-luxurious villa estates. McLaughlin Anderson Luxury Villas has a wonderful portfolio of luxury St. John villas and condos - be sure to book yours early, as this is one of the most sought-after vacation destinations in the Caribbean. Spend some time poking around the many interesting and artsy shops that line the streets of Cruz Bay, St. John's main hub. Don't miss shopping in Wharfside Village and Mongoose Junction, St. John's beautiful island-style malls, plus many other varied shops and galleries. Cruz Bay can be lively at night too, offering some excellent restaurants and watering holes from casual to very upscale, and live music and dancing.
Take a drive via scenic roads out to Coral Bay, a small village where you'll enjoy funky bars, a few quaint shops and horseback riding. You can continue eastward to St. John's pristine east end for its spectacular views and crystal-clear waters: Coral Bay, Hansen Bay and Privateer Bay beyond play host to incredible sunrises and unspoiled nature. And of course, on St. John, watersports abound: SCUBA diving, snorkeling, sailing, power boating, beach lounging and swimming. 5,000 acres of St. John are designated as Virgin Islands National Park (courtesy of the late philanthropist Laurence Rockefeller).
National Park lands occupy a full three-fifths of this 9-by-5-mile Caribbean island, keeping it relatively tranquil and pristine. With over 20 hiking trails, miles of fabulous beaches, and with easy access to the British Virgin Islands via ferry, St. John is the ideal place for vacationers seeking the fable and aura of seafaring explorers, pirates and undersea life. Explore the stunning National Park beaches of Hawksnest Bay, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay and Maho Bay and their sugar-white sands and clear, shimmering blue waters before retiring to your villa for the night.
The Virgin Islands National Park's Rangers offer hikes, seashore walks, historic, cultural and snorkeling tours, bird watching and informal evening lectures to visitors. Leaving the town area means ascending high into St. John's hills; Bordeaux Mountain offers a cool bird's-eye view of the British Virgins Islands, plus a portion of the famous Reef Bay Trail, to the Reef Bay Estate Great House. There are other historical monuments to explore, including the Windberg Estate, the Frederikdal ruins, and the restored Annaberg Plantation (a National Park site). For a very small island, St. John offers lots of action-packed, fun days and nights for the young at heart. But should you want to sit quietly by your villa's private pool and simply relax with your loved ones, this is also the perfect place to be. St. John (the island) and St. John's vacation villas truly have it all.
BRING PROOF of YOUR CITIZENSHIP Everyone departing St. John, even Americans, are now required by U.S. Immigration to show either a passport or a certified copy of a birth certificate accompanied by a photo ID - please don't forget these for the whole family!
Please note that The Virgin Islands Smoke-Free Act has been passed by the U.S. Virgin Islands Legislature, which bans smoking less than 20 feet from many spaces, including enclosed public places, enclosed places of employment, outdoor service or waiting lines and outdoor bus stations and public transportation platforms. Smoking also is prohibited within 20 feet of any of those locations. Keep this in mind as you enjoy your stay in the U.S. Virgin Islands!
Currency - U.S. Dollar
Postal - U.S. Postal Service + couriers (UPS, DHL, FedEx)
Immigration - No passports required of U.S. Citizens (bring certified copy of birth certificate; add gov't photo ID for adults). Day and other trips to BVI require passport or passport card (sea only) for re-entry; visas may be required from other destinations. Consult your national immigration office.
Local Directory Information - 913
Police, Fire, Medical Emergency - dial 911
Clinic - Myrah Keating Smith Community Health Center (340) 693-8900
Hospital - Schneider Regional Medical Center (St. Thomas) (340) 776-8311
Doctors on Call - Red Hook Family Practice (@ Cruz Bay) (340)776-6789 / after hours (340) 777-0112
Planning your vacation on St. John
We highly recommend travel insurance! Please see your travel agent or your provider of choice. Need options? We suggest sites like TravelInsuranceReview.net for a tutorial and comparisons of top travel insurance companies online.
Many adjectives have been used to describe St. John: "bucolic", "sleepy", "low-key"... this lush U.S. Virgin Island is two-thirds National Park, adding to its tropical allure. St. John villa guests have access to many modern conveniences, such as internet connections, island wedding planners, and transportation assistance.
We highly recommend that you pre-stock (provision) your villa so that you can get down to the serious business of relaxing following what's generally a long travel day, especially if you have children on hand or you have special dietary needs. This service will be invaluable, freeing you up to be embraced by your luxury villa's fine appointments and verdant surroundings.
- US Virgin Islands Cruise Ship schedules for download
- Caribbean Nanny Services, LLC - The ONLY Virgin Island independent, licensed and fully insured organization with a staff of Nannys that are recipients of USVI Health Cards, Early Childhood Development, CPR and First Aid training.
Wi-Fi Hotspots provided by ADM Wireless (various sites, daily, weekly or monthly rates)
St. John Chef Services
Hire a professional chef for your St. John villa stay; you'll love the convenience! Our chefs are specially selected for their reputations, service and varied menus. Consider hosting a meal for a special occasion, or just to pamper your sweetheart or loved ones. Throw off the cares of day-to-day living and really kick back in style.Special dietary needs, grocery starter packages, celebration cakes and gift baskets are all specialties!
- Continental cuisine
- Island flavors
- Grilled selections
- Desserts & baked delights
Provisioning your St. John Villa
- Blue Sky online provisioning form - Check payments preferred, but will accept major credit cards.
- Passion Fruit Chefs online provisioning form - Order special packages or a la carte.
St. John Spa, Massage, and Beauty Services
Experience an invigorating massage or other spa services on St. John! Escape to calming body wraps, sports massage, or aromatherapy to help soothe mind, body and soul. Please contact us for more information on this special service. Advance reservations highly recommended.
St. John Diving, Cruises, and Snorkeling
If you will be traveling from the U.S. to the British Virgin Islands during your stay, please note that smoking in public spaces is banned according to a law passed by the Legislative Council there. This includes bars, restaurants, nightclubs, airports, offices and arenas, and within 50 feet of any public area. Keep this in mind as you enjoy your time in the British Virgin Islands!
Sweet St. John is just one of the tropical island jewels at your disposal for seagoing fun. Below the surface is a teeming metropolis of ocean life. Enchanting sea fans and stunning coral provide a backdrop to all manner of fishes and shellfish going about their daily lives between here and British Virgin Islands such as Virgin Gorda, Norman Island and Jost Van Dyke. Dolphins may eye you with amusement, a sea turtle may paddle by on the way to lunch... under such intense observation, you just may wonder if you're the exhibit!You've become a part of the oceanscape, and in the company of expert divers and captains, you will experience the full range of activities above and below the water from beautiful St. John.
- SCUBA diving and instruction
- Snorkel tours
- Snorkel Gear Rentals
- Diving Gear Rentals & Sales
- Powerboat rentals
- Sport fishing charters
- The Baths
- Luxury yachts
- Sunset Cruises and weddings
St. John Activities, Festivals, and Attractions
We know that your St. John villa is why you came, but why stay in when you can get out and discover the islands? For good, old-fashioned fun, there's no place like St. John! The island vibe reigns with plenty to do and see that's exotic and new. On the other hand, you can also take a day trip to sister island St. Thomas or visit the British Virgin Islands for a spree that will stimulate your senses. Bring your camera, your sunscreen, and your smile!
- Arts Alive at Tillet Gardens (Tutu, St. Thomas) consists of a series of al fresco concerts, the Pistarckle Theatre schedule, and arts and crafts festivals (including the now renowned post - Thanksgiving kickoff to the Christmas shopping season).
- BVI Spring Regatta - Since 1972; one of the Caribbean's premier annual racing events.
- The Butterfly Farm (Havensite, St. Thomas) is an unforgettable encounter with the beauty and wonder of nature. You will enter a lush tropical garden teeming with butterflies from around the world. Tour guides will help you observe the extraordinary life cycle of these fascinating creatures. Located at Havensight Cruise Ship Dock.
- Coral World Ocean Park: (Smith Bay, St. Thomas) Get up close and personal to the beauty and magic of Caribbean marine life. Here you will experience what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to touch a shark, hand feed a stingray or watch newborn seahorses learn to swim. In addition to many interactive exhibits, an array of water activities.
- Dolphin Discovery, Tortola - "Swim with the Dolphins!" Get closer to these intelligent and amazing creatures and give yourself the Experience of a Lifetime!
- Horseback Riding at Carolina Corral, St. John Trail rides on horses or donkeys from St. John's Carolina Corral near Coral Bay. Lessons and children's parties available. First-timers welcome; children over 4 years of age, please.
- Jazz in the Moonlight/St. John Blues Festival: The tiny isle of St. John comes alive with the sound of music for everyone as St. John photographer Steve Simonsen plays host.
- International Rolex Cup Regatta (American Yacht Harbor, St. Thomas) weekend in the U.S. Virgin Islands is a high point for many yachtsmen and yachtswomen from around the world. Known as the "Crown Jewel of the Caribbean" it represents an opportunity to shake off the winter dust in preparation for a hard summer's racing.
- Magens Bay (North side, St. Thomas) is noted by National Geographic as one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world! Under the aegis of the Magens Bay Authority, this beach offers full services, including restrooms and changing stalls, lifeguards on duty, managed taxi and food concessions, free entry for young children, elderly and physically challenged, and more features. World-class, white sandy beach with facilities for private gatherings make Magens Bay a longtime favorite for visitors and residents.
- Mahogany Run Golf Course (Mahogany Run, St. Thomas) is the only golf course on the island of St. Thomas. The public course is located approximately 20 minutes from the cruise ship docks in the town of Charlotte Amalie and only 15 minutes from the ferry dock at Red Hook.
- Paradise Point (Havensite, St. Thomas) - "Ride the View" - St. Thomas Skyride whisks you 700 ft. above the town of Charlotte Amalie. As one of the "must do" attractions in the Caribbean, the skyride carries 24 passengers every seven minutes along its 8 tower ascent of Flag Hill. Casual dining, live entertainment, and shopping.
- Paradise Jam (University of the Virgin Islands Athletic Complex, St. Thomas) is an annual, two-week tournament, broadcast live on national television, which gives NCAA Division I basketball teams a chance to compete early in the season. A production of Basketball Travelers, Inc.
- Pistarckle Theatre's (Tutu, St. Thomas) mission is to provide quality professional theater, training and educational programming designed to enlighten and entertain. Each season, the theater presents four full-length plays as part of its subscription season.
- Reichhold Center for the Performing Arts (University of the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas) enriches the cultural and social life of the University of the Virgin Islands and its community with programs and performances drawn from across the globe that exemplify the best human artistic expression.
- St. John Festival celebrates both the Emancipation of 1848 and Independence Day (American). All islands and the world come together for the events and grand finale, the 4th of July Fireworks in Cruz Bay.
- St. Thomas Historical Trust has opened an office and mini museum at Royal Dane Mall in downtown Charlotte Amalie, on St. Thomas. Antique furniture, artifacts, art work, photographs, books and more are on display in the museum which is one flight up from the Philip Sturm studio. The mini museum is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The Forum is a nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing world-class artists and events to St. Thomas that would not be commercially viable to produce here. The organization sponsors musicians, artists, speakers, theater, dancers, poets and films to challenge, educate, uplift and astonish.
- Virgin Islands Carnival is one of the top cultural celebrations in the world! On the heels of the Easter Holiday, weeks of pageantry, music and mas culminate in the ultimate showcase: the Adults' and Children's Parades during the "last lap".
- Virgin Islands National Park: The Virgin Islands National Park's hills, valleys and beaches are breath-taking. However, within its 7,000 plus acres on the island of St. John is the complex history of civilizations - both free and enslaved - dating back more nearly a thousand years, all who utilized the land and the sea for survival.
- Personal Trainers
- Helicopter Tours
- Tennis on St. John - Some resorts offer access to courts by appointment; contact our concierge for availability
St. John Weddings, Air Charters & other services
- Air charters also available; custom and medical air travel services.
- Cellular Phone Rentals on St. John - Genesis Communications. Cellular phone service & supplies, accessories, rentals, battery conditioning, prepaid cards. Please contact Lynn for your cellular phone rental needs while on island. (Ph: 340-776-3811/Fx: 340-776-8314)
- Internet Cafes - Surf da Web St. John Marketplace, 2nd floor.
- St. John Wedding & Photography Services assistance on request
- St. John car rentals, baby gear & bedding rentals; sea & ground transportation